This painting was commissioned by Dr G.B. Longstaff, an early patron of Goodwin. Goodwin lived in Fulham from 1870-77 at the time this commission was completed. The conservatory shown is that of ‘The Highlands’, a house in Wandsworth, London. It is a scene perhaps influenced by Charles Kingsley’s popular story ‘The Waterbabies’.
Goodwin’s daughter Edytha went on to marry Ralph, Dr Longstaff’s son, and moved to their country home ‘Twitchen House’ in Morthoe, Devon.